top of page

Commonly Asked Questions

What is a Sound Test?

A sound test is a test required by local councils for both New Builds and Materials Change Of Use buildings (MCOU's). We are UKAS accredited to give you a trusted service. 

How do I book one of's services?

Simply send us an email or give us a call and we can send you a free quote for what you require, we will then book a slot for you within 5 working days. Contact us Here


How long will a sound test take?

It will depend on the layout of your building and how many sound tests need doing in each area. It it quite difficult to determine until one of our experienced Acousticians get to the site in question. On average each individual test takes around 20 minutes once they are on site and set up. It can also be sped up by making sure: all doors and windows have already been shut, the area required for testing is quiet and you have power going to the area.

How do I get ready for my sound test?

Check out our blog post 'Are you ready for your sound insulation test' to make sure you tick all the boxes. Click Here


How do you measure sound?

We have various pieces of equipment we use to measure the noise in decibels. Our key piece is called a sound level meter, we carry this around the rooms to measure the sound coming from our speaker that emits 100dB of low frequency noise.

How can I pay for services?

Our admin team are on hand to answer any queries you may have in regards to payment. - please call them on 02476545397

What is a BS4142?

BS4142:2014 or 'British Standard 4142' is a method we use to assess the potential impact from commercial or industrial noise that could affect residential properties.

What is a BS8233?

This British Standard gives us guidelines as to what noise levels are acceptable in different environments. 

Will I need an Acoustic Test?

Please check out our blog post 'How do you know if your project needs acoustic testing' for a detailed explanation. Click Here

Where do you operate?

We have a local surveyor network nationwide meaning we can bring you the best service at a local price. We travel all across England and Wales bringing Acoustic expertise to your site.


What noise levels do I need to pass?

This can depend on whether your site is a New Build or MCOU, and also depends on what the site is being used for e.g residential. Purpose built dwelling houses: For New Build you will need a reading of 45dB for an airborne sound test (walls and floors) and 43dB for an MCOU (walls and floors). As stated in Document E Section 0. As a comparison a Refrigerator humming is around 40dB and an average conversation is around 60dB.


If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to get in touch

bottom of page